What is Shaken Baby Syndrome?

Each year in the United States alone, medical treatment is sought for an estimated 1,400-1,600 babies who have been shaken. Don’t let your child become just another statistic! Tell everyone who cares for your child “Never shake a baby!”

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thomas "Chase" Sullivan SBS Survivor




Two months after my beautiful twin boys were born...one of my sons was shaken by a family member. I was told he would be a vegetable for life, he would never talk or walk & he would stay in the curled up fetal position for life. I was completely devastated the day I was told this. I was in shock...showing no emotion and the doctors continue to ask me if I heard what they said! I then said, "Yes, I understand." As I walked out of the hospital, I took my 6mn old twin boys & placed them in their car seats. As I closed the car door it hit me like a load of bricks! The sky laterally turned black...it began to rain with a vengeance...and I looked up to Heaven screaming and crying, "Why God, why"! Almost 11 years later I still deal with the pain and anger daily. The court system failed us and the perpetrator never served a day in jail.

My son Chase has brought us so much joy and taught us what true unconditional love is. Chase has over come obstacles his doctors said he would never do. He is not on a feeding tube, he is barley drooling now, he is walking with AFO leg braces and he does have a range of communication skills. We have come so far in our journey and we still have more to accomplish. I take each day by day with the courage I get from both my children.
There are two ways to live your life...One as though nothing is a miracle...The other as though everything is a miracle. At first glance my son now seems to not have any impairments but, soon you do come to realize his special needs. Chase is 300% better than the doctors said he would ever be. This is by the grace of God & years of therapy. We still have a long way to go, but each day just proves to me what I should really be thankful for! I was very blessed with having twins. My other son (big brother by 1 minuet) takes his role very seriously. He is a loving caregiver even at his young age. I know God gave me Twin Angels so they can take care of each other when I’m gone. Even though we may not understand the paths we must take in life God does. He knows what we need to go through & he knows who to put there to help us get over the obstacles. Be sure to stop and think about what you and your family really needs to live a productive and happy life. Never complain about being busing taking your kids to events because you never know when it all could be taken from you. Live for every moment and love every second God gives you with your children. Protect, Nurture, Love & Teach all children with their abilities & disabilities.

Thank you,
Christine Kunclrs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I have had the pleasure of knowing and teaching Chase. He is truly a miracle considering all that he has had to endure. I thank God for allowing our paths to cross and I wish him the best that life has to offer. Good luck and God bless vyou sweet one
Love Mrs. Santa.
P.S. never loose that beautiful smile and spirit they show your true essence:

Anonymous said...

What is his brothers name? He sounds so sweet and responsible I love it when I see a bigger sibling helping their younger ones especially helping special needs victims