What is Shaken Baby Syndrome?

Each year in the United States alone, medical treatment is sought for an estimated 1,400-1,600 babies who have been shaken. Don’t let your child become just another statistic! Tell everyone who cares for your child “Never shake a baby!”

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Introducing MamaSue


My name is Sue Sumner, mother to Dustin and Rachel Sumner, grandmother to Madilyne, Brody and Blake.

I was born in Emporia, KS and lived there most of my life. I come from a good sized extended family, but I was the only child growing up. I had a wonderful Mother and Father, who have since passed away.

After High School, I went to Cosmetology School. Throughout the years I have worn many hats, though. I have worked with interior decorators, managed fast food and family style restaurants, been a receptionist both to a moving company and a copier company. I have poured, made and sold ceramics, was a hairdresser and nail artist, owned a motel and a restaurant for about 10 years, and was a dispatcher for communications company. I worked for a non-profit organization as a customer service rep and I now work, again, as a dispatcher for a company which sells and services printer/copiers. In my spare time I paint pictures and walk the bridges here in Little Rock. I have lived in Kansas, Missouri, Florida and most recently, Arkansas.

I was married at 19 and we were together for 34 years. That is when my granddaughter was murdered, due to Shaken Baby Syndrome, and family life was never the same. I lost my beautiful granddaughter to someone’s negligence and rage. Something 100% preventable.

Having gone through all the “stuff” related to Shaken Baby Syndrome has taught me to appreciated my family and be thankful for what God brings into my life, for one never knows what will happen in the next moment. Thanksgiving holds a whole new meaning each year as I recall all that I have and am thankful for.

No comments: