What is Shaken Baby Syndrome?

Each year in the United States alone, medical treatment is sought for an estimated 1,400-1,600 babies who have been shaken. Don’t let your child become just another statistic! Tell everyone who cares for your child “Never shake a baby!”

Friday, November 4, 2011

Introducing Lisa Gilbert


Hello. I am Lisa Gilbert, mother to Riley Gilbert, SBS Survivor. Riley was violently shaken on March 27, 2007 at the age of 2 by her day care provider and former family friend. Riley was not expected to survive, and spent many months in the hospital, but she is a true miracle! Riley has been left with multiple disabilities as the result of her attack, but fights daily to improve, with her family by her side. Over the past four years, I have learned how to become a strong advocate for my daughter, while managing Riley’s needs and navigating the legal, medical, therapeutic, insurance, and special education worlds. Aside from my most important roles as a wife to my husband of 12 years, Brad, and mother to Riley and her brother Zachary, I have also worked for the past 11 years as a school counselor for high school students. I hold an Associate’s Degree in Social Work, a Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology with a minor in Social Work, and I am a Certified Counselor with a Master’s of Education in School Counseling from The College of Saint Rose in New York. I began forming relationships through networking on Facebook with other SBS parents, and was contacted by Rachel to blog and serve on the SBS Support Network board in 2009. Since being thrust unexpectedly into life as an SBS mom, my desire and mission is to support others affected by Shaken Baby Syndrome, since many often feel so alone in their journey, and I am thrilled to have the opportunity to do so through the Support Network!

1 comment:

Patty Sarnowski said...

The SBS Network is so blessed to have Lisa involved. Lisa is a woman who has shown incredible grace, strength, class and a positive attitude at times when most would crumble. The things that I hear she does with and for Riley are amazing, doing everything in her power to ensure a loving, full life for Riley and her entire family. Lisa, you continue to impress me in ways you'll never know. God Bless You and your work with the SBS Network!